This recipe from Moore Farms and Friends showed up in my inbox, just as I was thinking, “We need lots of squash and onion recipes!” It has the bonus of using a little cabbage as well. And some kale or Swiss chard.
2 cups summer squash or zucchini (in bite-sized chunks) 1 cup cabbage 1/2 Vidalia or other sweet onion 1 cup kale, Swiss chard or other greens 4 tbsp melted butter 1/2 cup room temperature cream or milk Salt and pepper to taste 1 tbsp cornstarch 1/2-1 cup of grated cheese
Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Wash, trim and chop summer squash or zucchini into bite-sized chunks. For a 9″ square baking dish we used 2 cups of prepared squash.
- Wash, trim and grate 1 cup green cabbage and 1/2 of a Vidalia onion.
- Wash, trim and chop 1 cup of kale (or use some Swiss chard). In a large bowl mix veggies together. The grated cabbage and onions will sort of “melt” into the background of this dish.
- In another small bowl mix together 4 tablespoons melted butter, 1/2 cup room temperature cream or milk, salt & pepper and 1 tablespoon cornstarch.
- Pour liquid mixture over veggies and stir well to combine.
- Place in baking dish and cover. Bake 45 minutes. Remove cover, top with 1/2 to 1 cup of grated cheese, bake uncovered for another 20-30 minutes or until browned and bubbly.
You can reduce baking time by sautéing the veggies first but this method is easier and works really well!